The acids used in Chemical peels are derived from fruit. Chemical peels are applied to the skin to treat loss of skin vitality, roughness/irregular texture, discolouration, sun damage, fine lines and wrinkles, mild acne scarring and loss of skin tone. Chemical peels may also be included in addition to conventional treatment options for the treatment of certain types of acne.
Dr Joseph Huskisson makes use of Glycolic Acid, a popular Alpha Hydroxy Acid type chemical peel, for anti-ageing, to tighten pores and leave the skin glowing. Peels range from very superficial to very strong depending on how deep they penetrate the skin. The stronger the peel the more downtime it may require during recovery. Each type of chemical peel is different and some are only indicated for certain skin types and skin conditions. Which peel will be advised for you will be decided on upon after a consultation with your doctor.
Medical grade chemical peels are classified as specialised facial treatments, only to be performed by professionals. Chemical agents are applied to the surface layer of the skin, rapidly exfoliating (peeling) the skin in a controlled manner. Peels are generally done to remove dry, dull skin cells and reveal smoother, more radiant skin underneath treating signs of skin ageing.
Peels range in strength from light to deep. The strength chosen for treatment is dependent on the present skin condition and the long-term results aimed for by client and therapist. The most common agents used for chemical peels include glycolic acid, lactic acid, salicylic acid, trichloracetic acid (TCA) and carbolic acid (phenol).
Chemical peels expedite the skin renewal process and help you reclaim the skin of your youth. Afterwards your skin may feel sunburnt, and depending on the strength of the peel you may have some visible flaking or peeling 2-3 days after treatment. Depending on your desired results a light chemical peel can be repeated every two to five weeks while a stronger chemical peel may be repeated every three to nine months. Very strong chemical peels may only be performed once.
FAQ: Chemical peels
Many skin problems are associated with excessive build-up of dead cells making the skin toughened and dull. Problems are exacerbated by exposure to the sun, pollution and other environmental factors, leading to skin damage and disease.
- Mild exfoliation treatments are usually suitable for all skin types including those patients with acne or sensitive skin
- All skin types can be treated
- All age groups, even the very young, can be treated
- All areas of the body can be treated
- Patients with hormonal pigmentation problems, such as epidermal melasma
- Individuals who have sunspots, sun-damaged skin, dry, ageing skin, oily skin with enlarged pores and acne scarring, are also good candidates
- Fine lines and wrinkles become less apparent
- Skin tone evens out and improvement of overall skin colour
- Texture becomes more refined and smooth
- Oily or acne-prone skin is improved
- Rehydrated tired, damaged skin
- Refined pores, appearing smaller, and diminished spots
- Improved colour and smoothness of old scars
- Skin appears healthier and more youthful
- Increased natural skin glow and radiance
- Overall improvement in skin condition
MEDICAL AESTHETIC SKIN CARE & BODY CONTOURING TREATMENTS
Enhance your features and refine your natural beauty with medical treatments including chemical peels, injectables, mesotherapy, micro needling, IPL, liquid facelifts, sclerotherapy, permanent make-up, lipolaser, vela shape body contouring and slender wonder.